On 2018-10-04 01:23, Paul Rogers via blfs-support wrote:
Actually there seems to be a slight inconsistency in the default create
instruction and the comment text just above (664 vs. 664).

I assume that's a typo.  Be aware the one that logs user logins, etc., (i.e.
auth,authpriv.*) should be 600 or 660.

Beyond that you can set owner and mode in logrotate files, e.g.
/var/log/secure {
     create 660 root root
}

Thanks for the reply.

So if files that contain user login information (auth*, btmp, wtmp, faillog and lastlog) should be not world readable - that's not what seems to be the status neither after finishing LFS nor after BLFS logrotate installation without changing the books' instructions.

So my original question is still there: What is the recommended owner/group/permission of the files in /var/log ?

Regards,
Wolfgang