This is in the section Xorg Libraries in chapter 24.
The first package to be processed by the script, libSM-1.2.3,
is where the error happened. The full message is:

sm_genid.c:102:11: fatal error: uuid/uuid.h: No such file
or directory
   # include <uuid/uuid.h>

I am using $XORG_CONFIG same as the book.

In config.log, there is a line that checks for uuid_create, the
result was no. Then it checked for LIBUUID, result yes. It
exited successfully with configure: exit 0.

Was there a prerequisite I am missing?

Any pointers will be helpful. Thanks for your help,
-David

PS: I would like to skip X completely and use only
Wayland, since I heard Qt 5 has a Wayland compositor,
but to build the Wayland stack (I stopped at Mesa) it
seems that Xorg is integral to the build, and that there isn't
documentation to use Wayland on a system without X.