My problem was caused by incorrectly configuring xorgproto.  I typed 'meson --prefix=/$XORG_PREFIX ..' instead of 'meson --prefix=$XORG_PREFIX ..'  The slash caused //usr when compiling. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to cause an error message but caused problems when compiling Poppler.

When I successfully compiled poppler-0.67.0 on my BLFS 8.2 system it was apparent I'd made a mistake on my BLFS 8.3 system.  The problem was right in front of me but I was blind to it.  Ah well ...  Perhaps posting the solution will help someone down the line.