Suspicions confirmed, I suspect.  I installed my 8.1 distro on my old i7,
brought it up to speed, and went to a couple Yahoo Finance pages.  It didn't
crash.  I'll have to play with it more to see if I can persuade it, but it
looks like I may have to do a binary search for a patch between 62 & 134 that
won't crash on this Conroe, then fork my release for different CPUs.  Should
only take 7 tries max.  That's the worst reason ever for forking one of my
distros!

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm