> Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 8:20 AM
> From: "Ken Moffat via blfs-support" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
> To: "BLFS Support List" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
> Cc: "Ken Moffat" <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Network problems with recent kernels (r8169)
>
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 11:33:42AM -0600, Trent via blfs-support wrote:
> >
> > On 12/21/19 3:29 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-support wrote:
> > >
> > > Today I woke it from suspend, and got more network stalls, now with
> > > the 5.3.11 kernel - so, it is possible that waking from suspend is
> > > unreliable (I never had reason to suspend or hibernate when it was a
> > > server!).
> > >
> > > In the meantime I had updated the machine running 5.4.1 to 5.4.5
> > > yesterday evening, ran it for a while (all seemed well), suspended,
> > > woken it again, and all seemed good.  So I upgraded the skylake to
> > > 5.4.5 and resumed my BLFS build - that has now all completed.  But
> > > in the meantime I've seen that backups on the other machine have
> > > timed out again.  And while writing this email (over nfs) I've had
> > > three stalls.
> > >
> > > I'm fairly sure that some of the network changes in 5.4 (and
> > > backported to later 5.3) are responsible, but finding a reliable
> > > test for good or bad seems to be hard, so I'm reluctant to bisect.
> > > I suppose I'll try 5.4.6 now.
> > >
> > > ĸen
> >

> > I am experiencing same issue.  I have my system installed on an SSD, so it
> > only takes seconds for the system to boot, but sometimes after boot, login
> > via SSH is not available for a long while.
> >

> Lack of entropy ?  I started using haveged on some _desktops_ to
> speed up the boot, but I think that with changes in linux-5.3 that
> is probably no longer necessary.
>
> > Also, I have noticed while logged in via SSH, sometimes the system is not
> > responding when I start typing. I was attributing that to some sort of power
> > saving attribute turned on, but checking, there is nothing set.
> >

> > Trent
> >

> I thought my boxes were running ok after rebooting my cheap network
> switches (and apart from problems with my consumer-grade KVM which
> is just a pain when the monitor has been switched off: in theory,
> turn on monitor, change active position to a machine which is
> either running or will wake/boot when panel switch is pressed -
> sometimes ok, sometimes not).
>
> But this afternoon I left my completed test server build running so
> that its cron backups would run - timeout because nfs target directory
> still mounted.  And now the same on that desktop box.  <sigh/>
>
> All I can add is that although 5.3.11 seemed to be ok I later got
> the same problems with that.
>
> ĸen
> --
>           We've all got both light and dark inside of us.
>           What matters is the part we choose to act on.
>                                               -- Sirius Black
> --

Hello Ken,

This may not be the issue at all, but have you checked if there is updated
firmware for your switches?

I live at a backpackers, and I have totally redone all the network wiring with
cat6 cable.

We have a fibre box, and from there the chepo isp provided AC750 Wireless Dual
Band Gigabit Router Model No. Archer C2 is connected via a gigabyte network
card to an old duel core athlon, then another gigabyte ethernet
card connects to a Netis WF2780_EU wifi router.  The wifi is turned off on the
AC750.  I have an external cat6 cable running down to my room, that is
connected into a port on the back of the Netis (I am about 2 meters short of
getting a wifi signal, but as wifi is not secure anyway, I don't care.)

I am the only one, apart from the server that is using the wired network.
Everyone else uses the wifi, and this setup gets heavy use on a daily basis.  I
only use ssh to access the server.  Sadly the server is running an older
version of Debian, due to the fact that the developer of the opensource hotspot
server has not yet released a version that works on the latest Debian buster,
so it is using an older kernel.

I did have an issue when we were using an old tp-link modem/router combination
with the wifi becoming very unstable, dropping out etc.  When I upgraded the
router to the netis, everyone became very happy.  It has been going for about 3
years now, without issue.

Rather than going out and buying a new switch, or switches, do you have someone
who you could borrow one from, just for testing purposes?  If all your issues
go away with a borrowed switch, then you will know for certain that it is not
the kernel at fault.

You could always try the 5.4.2 version of kernel, though if the network changes
have been back ported to even this version, then it will not really be helpful.

Regards,

Christopher.