On 2/24/20 5:07 PM, spiky0011 via blfs-support wrote:

Has anyone tried system sounds on kf5, lxde, xfce.

user is in audio group

I'm not sure what system sounds are in xfce. However I did find xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin that controls some volume. See below.

I'm looking at that also.  I'm running xfce and when running okular from the command line I get:

org.kde.knotifications: Audio notification requested, but sound file from notifyrc file was not found, aborting audio notification

I'm investigating.

As you say, audio from youtube or melt or vlc work fine.

I installed xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin as follows, taking instructions freely from Arch:

https://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/xfce4-dev-tools/4.14/xfce4-dev-tools-4.14.0.tar.bz2

NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
    --localstatedir=/var
make && make install

https://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin/snapshot/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin-0.4.2.
tar.gz
    ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
    --localstatedir=/var \
    --enable-keybinder \
    --enable-libnotify \
    --enable-maintainer-mode

sed -i -e 's/ -shared / -Wl,-O1,--as-needed\0/g' libtool
make
make install

At runtime:

http://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/pavucontrol/pavucontrol-4.0.tar.gz

Needs gtkmm3  and sigc++

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin installs on the panel and does control the volume of the audio on things like youtube playing in firefox.

I do get sounds from thunderbird. I've been having a problem with okular missing a module and I get this on the command line:

org.kde.knotifications: Audio notification requested, but sound file from notifyrc file was not found, aborting audio notification

It is not clear to me that kde applications interface audio notifications with the xfce environment.

If anyone has any ideas, please let us know.

  -- Bruce