On 3/12/20 11:15 AM, Don Cross via blfs-support wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:44 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming via blfs-support <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org <mailto:blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>> wrote:

    Subject: How can I make an efficient backup or clone of my basic linux
    from scratch (lfs) system?

    What backup or cloning software should I use? Is dd sufficient? What is
    the proper command for dd?

    Currently i am using the following command only:

    $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdb2
    of=/home/teo-en-ming/teo-en-ming-linux-2020.03-final-dd.img

I created a bootable USB flash drive with Clonezilla on it. I boot from this flash drive on several computers, including ones that host Linux and Windows, and make a full drive backup. Clonezilla is smart enough to skip over free filesystem blocks, so I'll bet it skips over the entire contents of swap partitions. It also compresses the blocks it does save.

Actually for backup tar is sufficient.

tar -cJf .lfs-system.tar.xz /

On another system there may be some tweaks needed. Files like fstab and whatever file sets th eIP address if it is not using dhcp.

You may want to exclude several directories: /dev, /lost+found, /mnt, /proc, /run, /sys, and /tmp

  -- Bruce