On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:29:39AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-support wrote:
> On 3/24/20 10:18 AM, rhubarbpieguy--- via blfs-support wrote:
> >
> > I'm a touch confused about the following in the Firefox mozconfig
> > documentation:
> >
> >     # Do not specify the gold linker which is not the default. It will take
> >     # longer and use more disk space when debug symbols are disabled.
> >
> > There seems to be no action to be taken.  Most other lines specify a
> > line to comment/uncomment.  What's a gold linker?
> >
> > Two other areas:
> >
> >     # From firefox-61 system cairo is not supported
> >
> >     ac_add_options --enable-system-ffi
> >     ac_add_options --enable-system-pixman
> >
> > Again, there seems no action to be taken.  Are the two ac_add_options
> > lines related to the cairo statement.?

> >     # From firefox-62 --with-pthreads is not recognized
> >
> >     ac_add_options --with-system-bz2
> >     ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
> >     ac_add_options --with-system-png
> >     ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
> >
> > The same as above.  Are the four ac_add_options lines related to the
> > pthreads statement?
> >
> > To be clear, the mozconfig file works well, I'm just curious.
>
> Those options used to be in the book.  They are clarifications that they
> have been removed.
>
>   -- Bruce

Yes indeed.  I make many of the updates to firefox, and I'm aware
that a number of people use their own scripts and also come from a
past version, so I try to make it easier for them to see what has
changed - mozconfig is long, and not easy to read, unlike most
invocations of configure or meson.

Actually, I think the gold linker might still be the default if
clang is used.

Thunderbird in BLFS uses clang, it could similarly use gcc, g++, also
the patch for system harfbuzz (and system graphite until tb moves to
the next firefox ESR base version), but without taking time to
measure the different builds I do not know for certain that using
gcc and g++ would save time or build space in thunderbird.

ĸen
--
When alle is ſayed and all is done, ye must chooſe your faces wisely,
for soon enouff ye will be playing with fyre."