On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 09:00:19AM +0200, Rielynd Mira via blfs-support wrote:
>    Hi there, found something extremely weird yesterday.
>
>    When trying to build C++ programs/files, I sometimes get errors like that:
>
>    /usr/include/c++/10.1.0/cstdlib:75:15: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file
>    or directory
>    75 | #include_next <stdlib.h>
>
>    That just appears to happen when including something like <iostream>; if I
>    include the C headers directly, it works fine.

I think I've seen similar failures when using a newer version of gcc
(or clang), and maybe also when using a newer version of glibc.

In each case, the fix has been to add the missing header(s).  That's
one of the reasons I hate it when packages or tools change their
default c++ standard, and I have to hope that someone else has
already fixed the packages, and that google can find the fix.

>    The main thing that's weird about it:
>    Yesterday, after I tried out recompiling gcc, everything worked just fine.
>    Program built and ran. Though, literally right after I woke up today, it
>    didn't work anymore.

You appear to be saying that the *same* source which compiled
yeaterday no longer compiles today on the same system ?

A more normal situation would be: yesterday I built several
programs, and of those I had to fix 'foo'. Today I'm getting a
similar problem in 'bar'.  That is normal.

>    I also tried it with recompiling glibc, which resulted in exactly the same
>    thing, and I tried using the '-I' and '-isystem' switches, which do
>    absolutely nothing...
>
>    gcc's include search path, glibc's version and 'ldconfig -v' output from
>    my system is here:
>    https://pastebin.com/3qKtNkC8
>
>    LFS Version I used: Version 20200707-systemd
>    BLFS Version I used: Version 2020-07-14 - systemd
>
>    I hope that someone is able to help me here to at least understand what I
>    did wrong... if anything.
>
>    Thank you.

Recompiling glibc in case it fixes the problem seems like a
dangerous idea unless you have reason to believe that something
specific in your glibc build was wrong - you will generally need to
reboot after recompiling glibc, and the shutdown can be very unclean
(i.e. the system can hang).

ĸen
--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
                          - Hogfather