On 8/9/20 6:57 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-support wrote:
My second set of problems with video players ;)

I know that xine has always been rather fragile, partly related to
CFLAGS I use in oe of the dependencies - but a year ago those
detined flags made it mostly work.  With mov files and some of my
own mkv and (old: fmpeg-0.7!) mp4 conversions it has tended to
stutter (the picture jumps backwards).  On downloads they usually
play ok.

With my current (late July build) on my haswell, almost everything
that I try to play in xine crashes at startup.  On my machine using
radeon r600, my own mov files crash but everything else plays fine.
On my machien with amdgpu, the mov files from my camera similarly
crash, but everything else plays *until I use the xine control
slider to move forward through the video* (I don't wish to spend
hours looking at the files I'm using for testing).  As soon as I
touch the slider, xine crashes.

Looking back at older systems, that behaviour with amdgpu was
present in BLFS-9.1.

I've now reverted the string of packages I mentioned in my post
about parole (but again that has made no difference.

mostly works on radeon, works on amdgpu if I don't use the controls
and let it play through.

Again, I would be interested to hear of other people's successes.
Note that one or two files (one commercial mov, two commercial wmv)
do work with or without the reverts, other commercial wmv files
crash.

ĸen

Hi Ken,

I wanted to let you know that I was able to get Xine to play big_buck_bunny.mp4 properly on my Intel Skylake system (i5-6600k). I don't have any .mov files or any .wmv files sitting around here that I can use though, and I'm not sure converting would be much help here either. I did also scrub through the video using the slider, and watched it to completion.

I am using Mesa-20.1.5, with the Intel Iris driver that's built into Mesa (newer Intel systems won't be able to use i965 properly, especially once the Xe series of graphics cards comes out). FFMPEG-4.3.1 is in use too. The current driver loaded on my system is "iris". I did see an error regarding libvdpau_nvidia.so when starting though, but I don't think that's related. As far as I can tell, I do have the latest version of the related packages installed on this machine.

Here is my console output:

renodr [ /sources ]$ xine big_buck_bunny.mp4
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.12.                                                 |
(c) 2000-2019 The xine Team.
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or direct
ory
libva info: VA-API version 1.8.0
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)

Is it possible that it could be permissions? My intel system here is a systemd box. I am working on my elogind system at the moment to check on a couple things, and it has a Radeon in it. I'll let you know how that works, it's on my list to try next.

- Doug