Chris,

    From what you said, it sounds like all the items Avast was beeping at me
were archives that couldn't be accessed.  I was asked if I wanted to delete,
rename, move to chest etc.  I don't remember having clicked on the Action
button since I didn't know what it was.

    My head is still bad and it's not a good time to learn a new program, so
I'll try to relax and go back to this later.  By the way, while I was typing
this, Avast announced it had detected malware.

    Thanks for the help.  My problems are probably not caused by Avast, but
my own inability to think straight due to this head.  Hopefully, everything
will make sense when I'm feeling better and I may end up loving the program.

Margaret

 "Chris Hallsworth" wrote:

Hi, as I say by default Avast alerts you to what threats has been found.
This does not mean that it should be that way, however the only place as far
as I know to turn those alerts off is in the dialogue itself, where you
check a check box to not show you alerts again. I'm not sure what the
default action for malware removal is once that check box is unchecked since
I personally liked being warned when a threat has been found as at least I
get an opportunity to see what Avast has picked up. But to each his own I
guess. Second, you don't have to delete the archived files that couldn't be
accessed. If you click the action button, you'll see things like
rename/move, move to chest, etc. Personally I've had little to no false
positives with Avast compared to AVG, which picked up trojans that even
Google's never heard of. Hope that helps.
--
Chris Hallsworth