It felt like the letter L to me not a C, but Eric did show me the lip or edge where the items to be scanned needed to be for the camera to take the picture. He had it hooked up to a laptop and he was using OB 9 and he pressed the f4 key to start the scan and it just made the camera sound as heard on the Mobil phones and was quickly read back. He also said it would still work with xp users, a very nice padded leather case tubular shaped for the device as well. The portability of it makes it appealing and of course the price.

Message ----- From: "ernestquick" <ernestqu...@comcast.net>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 12:29 PM
Subject: [Blind-Computing] pearl reader

The Pearl Reader looks like a white cane when it is folded up. It is compact and portable. You just unfold it, and it is positioned like a letter C with squared off corners when in position. It plugs into the computer via USB, and uses Open Book that way. Because of the position of the sections of the "cane", one can place the document beneath the camera and tell Open Book to take a picture and read it. It has to use Open Book Version 9, which has not been released yet but will be soon, hopefully! It is about $2,200. by the time one buys the Pearl plus the Open Book application. Presently, Freedom Scientific is running a promotion where one can upgrade his present OpenBook for $150., and purchase the Pearl hardware for about $600. I think that promotion runs through July 15. It is made for portability
Ernest Quick
friends are for life mentors are forever.