From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com]on Behalf Of
Rick Watson
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 2:32 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Pearl Camera

-----Original Message-----
From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of
Alan Robbins
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 1:40 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com

Rick,

Thanks. I guess we can do this on list as it does pertain to
computers and others may find the answers to my questions
helpful.

What is prompting my inquiry is my current scanner (an all
in one feed through HP) and OCR software (OmniPage pro 15)
leaves many limitations. Many times what I want to scan I
can't because I can't feed it through the scanner. From what
I've read it sounds like the Pearl can be used as a scanner
and/or  OCR all in one. Unfortunately I also understand one
needs Open Book 9 or higher to go with it. Not being an Open
Book user that is an expensive piece of software. Anyway
here are some question:

1. Can the unit be a substitute for a stand alone scanner?

No
Once you snap a picture of a memo, letter, etc is there an
option to save the picture as an image or only as a document
following the OCR process? Many times I like to scan things
and keep an electronic copy of it but not necessarily OCR
it. I think so but have never used this functionality.

How good is the OCR when it performs the function?
I have omnipage 12 and openbook is much better.

Lets start here, thanks again

Al