----- Original Message ----- From: "Accessible Devices" <parker2...@accessible-devices.com>
To: "Accessible Devices List" <a...@accessible-devices.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:29 PM
Subject: [Accessible Devices] Beware Of Fake Microsoft Security EssentialsSkam

This is all we have on this.
Microsoft Security Essentials is fake. Well, it is and it isn't. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antimalware protection program from Microsoft, but a identified by security software vendor F-Secure is also masquerading as Microsoft Security Essentials.
You want to avoid that one.
The is distributed through a drive-by download as either hotfix.exe or mstsc.exe--both reasonably benign and almost legitimate sounding file names that might not raise
red flags with some users.
--including all of the top names that users are familiar with such as Trend Micro, McAfee, Panda, and Symantec-- and identifies those that are capable of detecting
and blocking this nefarious threat.
The F-Secure blog explains, "Surprisingly, the only products that seem to be capable of handling the infection are AntiSpySafeguard, Major Defense Kit, Peak Protection, Pest Detector and Red Cross. Never heard of these? No wonder. They are all fake products." The attackers are counting on users being naïve enough to take the bait and agree to be "saved" by purchasing one of these awesome antimalware tools to help eradicate the threat. But, since these are all rogue antivirus programs what you really end
up with is some sort of Trojan that opens the system up to further .
Don't get confused, though. As mentioned above, is a legitimate antimalware application as well. It is offered for free by Microsoft, and is in fact a very capable defense against malware. Microsoft just recently expanded the availability of Microsoft Security
Essentials to --making it free to install on up to ten PCs.
I must say, though, that I have never understood how anyone falls for rogue antivirus attacks. It seems to me that users should know whether or not they have some sort of malware protection installed, and if so which software it is. If no antimalware is installed, or if the fake alert is apparently from a program other than the one
that is installed--why would anyone take it seriously?
Did magic antimalware fairies stop by in the night and install this new beneficent tool? And, doesn't it seem at all suspicious that this strange antimalware detection is capable of scanning the PC and identifying this new threat, but invites you to
purchase something else to actually deal with the problem?
F-Secure detects this new rogue Microsoft Security Essentials threat as Trojan.Generic.KDV.47643.
Close Window
This is an Announce only list. Subscribers are not able to post to this list.
You will find the list archives at:
http://accessible-devices.com/pipermail/a-d_accessible-devices.com/
Sorry, but we're not able to provide help for archive users.
To unsubscribe from the Accessible Devices list copy the line below. Paste it inthe
To: line of a blank message and send it.
a-d-unsubscr...@accessible-devices.com
You may download our podcasts from this link,
http://www.accessible-devices.com/Podcasts.html
Or if you're using a podcatcher of some type the subscribe URL is.
http://www.accessible-devices.com/feed.xml
Visit our website at:
www.accessible-devices.com
Please feel free to pass this message on to a friend who might like to subscribe.
To subscribe to Accessible Devices send a blank e mail to:
a-d-subscr...@accessible-devices.com
Just follow the directions in the confirmation message when it comes.
Please Note: Accessible Devices is not able to provide tech support for software
or products that we supply information about.