Maybe put all math symbols in Jaws dictionary?
It has been some time since I had algebra but I guess you would need the radical sign or square root, * for times, / for divide. I am unsure how to type x squared or x cubed on my PC keyboard. But if you have some sighted help maybe you can copy to clipboard any math symbols that are not reading and put them into dictionary and give them an intelligent name.
Parenthesis are key in algebra.  The exclamation point is factorial.
Unsure if you have a Braille display or not but if so there is computer Braille that might help.

From: "Mark" <marktorger...@my180.net>
To: "Blind Computing" <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:58 AM
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Speaking math symbols

Hi
I am currently in an algebra class
that is required by my college. The college provided the textbook to me in
PDF format. However, when I try to read the document with JAWS 12 it shows
none of the math symbols. Thus, the book is useless. So, I tried to
convert the document to text and found the text version has no math
cymbals. Visually the PDF document shows the symbols. So, I don't know
what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

God bless,
Mark

--
God Loves You!