Using a mac do you have to use certain programs?

Kathy

-----Original Message-----
From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Kliph&Sharrie
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:45 AM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] question for those of you who have tried the
Mac computer, or indeed use one now.

Well, to say it's better is not a fair statement.  Voice over, the screen
reader for the mac is very good!  But it all depends on your preference.
I've been using a mac for about 2 months, and love it.  The only down fall
for me is the internet
But that's all suppose to change with the release of lion today is suppose
to take care of all of that.  With letter navigation on the web, and the
launch pad on the doc.  I run windows virtually on my mac, but only do that
so I can still use the Microsoft suite, but use my mac for everything else.
I use my mac cold turkey for the first month so I could get use to it all at
once without trying to jump to windows when I got frustrated with the mac.
But I am not sorry I made the switch.  The difference between voice over and
jaws is night and day.  Voice over is a great alternative, and will be equal
to jaws one day, but in my opinion, it's not quite there yet.  Good luck
Kliphton SR
(twitter) http://twitter.com/kliphton72
(Marriage Blog) http://cm-i-t-real-world.blogspot.com
Sent from my IMac

On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:22 AM, jim rawls wrote:

> Does the screen reader that Mac uses, work better than jaws, or is just as
good, or not quite as good? I'm contemplating switching to a Mac, but can
see no point, if the screen reader, doesn't read the internet as well, or
anything else.
> I also know, it's natural for one to defend their choice for things, but
objectively, does the screen reader work as well as jaws or better? And if
better, in what way?