If it is covered on a warranty I'd have it replaced

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Gerald
Levy
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:32 PM
To: blind-computing
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Trouble With CD/DVD Drive On My PC

Hi list.  Lately, I have been experiencing trouble with the CD/DVD
drive built into my Dell Precision workstation running XP Pro.  When I
insert a standard prerecorded audio CD into the disk tray and close
it, it takes a long time, almost two minutes, before it is finally
recognized and the option to play it with Windows Media Player comes
up.  When I start pplaying the disk, it usually , but not always ,
skips, even after I have cleaned it with a cleaning cloth.  The same
disk plays fine on my audio system DVD player.  Some prerecorded audio
CD's do play continuously without skipping on the built-in CD/DVD
drive.  But when I insert audio CD-R's that I had previously recorded
on this drive, they are not recognized.  So most prerecorded CD's will
play, albeit with occasional skipping on some disks, but CD-R's that
had been previously recorded on this computer are not even recognized
and thus won't play.  Does this behavior indicate that the CD/DVD
drive is defective and should be replaced?  My workstation is five
years old but is still covered by an extended warranty through next
month, so I'm wondering whether I should contact Dell and have them
repair or replace the faulty DVD drive while I still can .  I am
reluctant to try one of those laser lens cleaning disks for fear of
causing more damage and voiding the warranty,  Thanks for any advice.

Gerald