From: Blind-Computing [mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Eleni Vamvakari
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:21 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Problems with Ebay and Facebook

Over the past several months, I've been having major problems with
Ebay.  I've noticed that the combo boxes for sorting items, as well as
the edit boxes for choosing price, and the regular links for things
like buy it now, the various categories, location, etc. have all
become inaccessible.  They now look like a combination of links and
check boxes, which do nothing when I click on them.  I've tried both
Firefox, which is my main browser, and Internet Explorer.  Sometimes,
they work properly, but now, neither one is working, and these
problems appear on both browsers, where previously, I was able to use
IE for the purpose.  Firefox also started acting normally, a few days
ago, but has now resumed this strange look.  The ad-ons manager in
Firefox has also become inaccessible.

I also have to use the mobile version of Facebook with both browsers,
since it's very difficult to use the main site on Firefox and
virtually impossible with IE.  When I get e-mails of notifications
from Facebook, they all use the www. version of pages.  But I can't
get to the address with IE, as I can with Firefox, in order to edit it
to m. so that I can view things on the mobile site.  I also can't
update IE, because I'm using Windows XP, and 7 is the last version
that will work with my os! So basically, I'm left with only a few
options.
1. Change to a version of Windows which I have no idea how to use, and
no desire to learn, one which is far more complicated than what I
already have.
2. Buy another Mac (which is ridiculously expensive) so that I can
upgrade to Mountain Lion, or buy more memory for my Macbook so I can
upgrade to Lion. Both have better navigational features than Snow
Leopard, but I'm not a huge fan of the Mac.  Please do not suggest to
me that I buy an iOS device.  I don't like touch screens and the like,
nor do I wish to change to Linux.
3. Continue using Firefox and uninstall/reinstall it every time Ebay
starts acting up, hoping that will fix the problem (it didn't today),
or I don't like an add-on and need to delete it, or do a system
restore each time.
4. Wait for my MS-DOS 7.10 machine, which should be coming soon.  I've
heard that these sites are accessible with DOS browsers.

For the record, I use NVDA as my screenreader.  Has anyone else
experienced these problems?  If so, what solutions have you found?
This is really upsetting me!  What's worse is that both Ebay and
Facebook have wonderfully accessible mobile pages, but they don't have
many of the basic features of their main sites.

Thanks,
Eleni