Hi, Gary,

Chess can absolutely be learned if you're blind. It takes a special board and
pieces, but these can be purchased from many sites that sell adaptive equipment
and games for the blind. The board has squares you can feel; one color is
raised, while the other is slightly depressed. I can't remember now which color
is which, though. It's been quite a while since I've played. The pieces have
little round pegs on the bottom, and the squares on the board have holes in the
center for these pegs. The reason for this is so that a blind player can touch
the pieces and not have them fall over while examining where each piece is in
relation to others before beginning their next move. The pieces are also
modified similarly to the board‘s squares; one color usually has a little dot
on top which corresponds to the color of the raised squares on the board, i.e.,
pieces with dots are the same color as raised squares, and the other is either
flat or has a little dent in the top, which corresponds to the color of the
depressed squares on the board. I hope this helps, and I hope you have a fun
time learning.

Thanks,
Ari