I expect those are different voices for different languages.
Once English is double tapped shut the game down then start the game
again.  If that doesn't do it, it may be necessary to tap on the status
toggle that says either on or off to the right of english then restart the
game.  Why this was even done when every phone has a system default I do
not know unless an additional opportunity existed to charge for voices in
addition to everything else in this game.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.