the thing about servicing tractor mowers is its not a straight forward job
as I've done so with a few machines in the past either for the field or on
restoration jobs for selling machines  from auctions etc.

from servicing the engine itself to stripping off the cutter deck to
sharpening and balancing blades to whatever it can be a challenge.

I had the pleasure of restoring a ransomes autocertees  which was a  beauty
of a ride on cylinder machine. it had 2 24 inch 12 blade cylinders with  drives
on each one directly set to the master engine, a gear to the front wheel
drive and stearing to the back. and put it this way it was a machine left for
dead. the engine had to be stripped top to bottom and the recoil starter had to

be rebuilt from top to bottom, all bodywork had to be sand blasted or acid
stripped and any damage filled with welding mix.  when it came to dealing  with
the drive gear for the machine it was incredibly difficult dismounting the
wheel rig as the bolts were left hand UNF  threads. bad enough when they  were
saezed. so had to get the oxy acetylene and warm the rods up and slacken  with
a hammer tap and a heavy wrench set.

gearing came out and  was re oiled and greased up, casing blasted out  and
reset. nuts brushed with acid to strip the rust and bolt heads. left for  about
10 mins. good as new.

next job was the front blade rig, took the cylinders for re grinding.   the
guy I took them too was the guy who started me off with my merry addiction  to
all things petrol lol. he literally hugged these cylinders and said "what the
BLEEP are you doing with two ransomes auto cylinders?" told him it was a
restoration from an auction and I'm building her all the way from start to
finish.

so blades were done, reground the bar ways, set the rollers on the lathe  for
balancing and cleaning, jet feeding and oiling, rebuilt the bodies, mounted
the blades, set the gear shafts, rebuilt the system and installed the engine
which took about 2 hours to bring to life after grinding the piston  chamber
very gently, re seating the valves and cleaning the piston block  out and
mounting new piston seals on the piston head and balancing the crank.  put a
new
magneto assembly on it and brought her back to life. gave her a re  spray and
drove her on a friend of mine's private land and put her to the test  on the
field.

days later had sold it

so yes it is possible for a blind guy like you or I to do something this
grand and complex.

just don't put your finger on the HT lead and clout the recoil start to  test
the magnetos unless you're 100% comfortable with the idea of getting a  shock
up your left arm.

lew

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: