  From: Dale Leavens
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:43 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] All bungged up!

  Hi,

  Looking for suggestions.

  I have a roller which you fill with water or sand for adding weight to roll
out things like the lawn. I released the bung and tried to wiggle it out so I
could get the water out of it in an effort to preserve it's round shape for
next year. The rubber bung is a round rubber plug with a washer on each side
and a bolt which runs through the middle and a wingnut so, when you tighten the
wingnut it pulls the two washers together which thickens the rubber and it fits
water tightly in the hole in the side of the drum.

  Well it wouldn't come out!

  I wiggled and jiggled and all it wanted to do was go in which, if it does, I
will never again retrieve.

  This would not worry me all that much if a replacement was easily available
but in the past, every time I go to my hardware store they inform me they are
right out of stock as if they had just sold the last one minutes before my
arrival. Not only that but they are expecting more on the next truck on Tuesday
but without fail, some other needy bungger seems to get there before me but I
digress.

  So, I put a small prybar on the wingnut musing as I tried wiggling the little
beggar that pulling on the nut was pulling on the bolt which would be pulling
on the washer inside the drum which would be expanding the stopper but I did it
anyway. I was mistaken though, the wingnut was one of those pressed metal
things and it decided to slide off of the threads instead, a consequence I had
not anticipated. The wingnut now reposes probably in my neighbours yard
somewhere over my shed where he will doubtless find it in the spring and wonder
which of his devices it had been liberated from.

  I did grab the bolt with a small pair of channel locks so, in some way I
still have hold of the rubber stopper and bolt and at least the inner washer
and I have tried, with this hold to jiggle the rubber out of that hole
including smearing Vaseline over it but, the fit seems to remain too tight.

  The hole appears to be maybe an inch and the bolt only a little longer than
required but I am thinking I won't get it out of there unless I just melt it or
burn it with a torch which really isn't useful, might as well leave it to
rattle about inside there.

  Anyway, I thought I would put it out there on the list in case someone has;
Either an idea to try or a source for bungs.

  Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Skype DaleLeavens