Scott, the rotomatic is plained a bit on one side so the ruler will
sit flat on a surface.  On the opposite side it is plained, also, but
every half inch, a thread sticks up so one can tell where the half
inch marks are.  On the measuring nut that turns, one side has a
notch in it so one knows the correct side of the nut is up.  So, each
turn of the nut, with the notch up, is 1/16th of an inch.  If any
measuring device is worth its weight in gold, this one is.  I have
used mine for years.  One can measure fairly accurately, to within
1/64th of an inch.

earlier, Scott Howell, wrote:

>Thanks Dale, but this might be a stupid question. How do you know
>what the measurement actually is. I haven't seen one of these so am
>making some assumptions based on what I've read. My understanding is
>that you have a nut and a locking nut which I can only assume keeps
>the moving nut in place once set. So, I understand these are threaded
>rods and for each turn of the nut equals a measurement, i.e. half
>turn might be 1/16 of an inch etc. Since there are no tactual
>markings, how can you be sure you only turned it a half turn and not
>a half plus another 1/16? Perhaps I'm making much out of nothing, but
>I guess my understanding might be a little off or there's somethng
>I'm missing. I'm very interested in this because accurate
>measurements is a must and I can't tell you the number of baseboards
>for example I've screwed up because my measurement was off a little.
>I'll post a question on this subject in another message, but any
>comments etc. on this Rotomatic ruller is very much appreciated. I
>dont' mind spending the money if the tool is truly worth its weight
>in gold. I've got a number of project I want to start working on so
>this is timely.
>
>tnx
>
>Scott
><mailto:s.howell%40verizon.net>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>1/7/2007 6:29 PM

John