Hi All
 Leigh Website -
http://www.leighjigs.com

Leigh D1600 Dovetail Jig
Review - Part 1

There is no denying that the most prominent name in dovetailing jigs is Leigh!
Since the early '80s, Leigh have been manufacturing and retailing dovetailing
jigs to woodworkers, with their now famous D4 model jig recognized as one of
the best available for the woodworking hobbyist or professional.

Since then, Leigh have also manufactured a mortise and tenon machining jig, and
more recently, the little brother to the D4, the D1600 jig, which is the
subject of this particular review.

Out of the Box
The D1600 comes supplied in a well packaged box with an assortment of bits and
pieces, so separating and sorting everything out on a large enough surface
is recommended to avoid confusion. The first item you will probably be keen to
pick up is the DVD included in the kit. No doubt you will have this in the
DVD player and running not long after opening the box. I love when
manufacturers include DVDs. It's that little extra bonus you don't find in many
product
boxes. The DVD provides an excellent overview on setting up and using the D1600
jig, and it is well worth watching before you get stuck into using the
jig.

The most important item you will want to read through is, of course, the user
manual. This ring-bound resource is full of step by step instructions for
assembling and using the D1600 to construct all the types of joinery the jig is
capable of producing. It is also a little more detailed than the information
provided with the DVD, so don't just throw it back in the box. It's meant to be
used in the workshop as you craft your fine woodworking item. Keep it close
by and handy while you learn the ropes of your new D1600 jig.

A bag of various knobs and fixings are included for initial assembly and setup
of the D1600. One of the first steps outlined in the assembly process is
to build a base for the D1600. This can be made out of any stable material, but
plywood or MDF are probably best suited for the task. I used 3/4" chipboard
as I had plenty available at the time and it has worked fine for me so far. The
purpose of this base is to provide a wider footprint and to add a surface
to which you can clamp the jig/base down more efficiently and safely to a
workbench or work surface. Full instructions and a measured drawing for cutting
and drilling the base is provided. There are only a couple of other basic
assembly steps to complete and the D1600 is ready to use. It took about 30
minutes
to construct the base and assemble the jig fully ready for use.

Before you get started using the jig it is recommended to acquire several
boards of cheaper softwood, usually pine or poplar, to use as sacrificial
practice
boards before getting your teeth into more expensive wood. I would also advise
to go back to the DVD and look at the examples given, and also take note
of special safety precautions mentioned. The last thing you wish to do is to
destroy your new investment!

Leigh D1600 Features
So what makes the Leigh D1600 so special? I mean, you can buy cheap dovetail
jigs from a number of other suppliers for basic dovetailing tasks... The keyword
there is basic. The inexpensive dovetail jigs available are somewhat limited in
the types of dovetail joints they can create. Many will only be able to
make half-blind dovetails with pre-set pin spacing. What makes the Leigh
dovetail jigs so popular is that they offer, among other features, fully
variable
dovetail joint spacing, i.e. you can position the pins and tails wherever you
like across the width of the joint, as well as choose how many pin/tail joint
combinations you desire as well. The cheaper jigs usually have pre-determined
spacing that is not adjustable, which makes it hit and miss as to whether
you can make a half pin on both edges of the joint, a trait which seems quite
desirable in dovetail joinery. The Leigh D1600 can of course ensure you have
half pins on each end of the joint, as well as variable spacing between these,
and this is a great asset as it allows you to create joints that appear
unique and different to the next. The D1600 can also be fitted with outer
dovetail type template jigs to create more artistic-looking joints, but we will
look at those in part 2 of this review later.

The D1600 is indeed capable of producing a wide array of joint types. No longer
are you restricted to just half blind dovetails with the cheaper jigs on
the market. The D1600 is capable of producing half-blind dovetails, through
dovetails, sliding and angled dovetails, as well as rabbetted and end on end
joints too. And then there are angled and offset dovetails, to name just a few
more. You can create joints up to 16" wide with the D1600.

Build quality is also one of Leigh's best assets. All components are solid in
construction and are precisely machined for accuracy. When you pull the D1600
out of the box, you can immediately see the level of quality it is built with.
That higher price tag is quite justifiable in this case. You are buying
a quality, well-machined and finished dovetailing jig that, if looked after
carefully, should last a lifetime, and then some. The main body of the jig
is CNC machined one piece aluminum extrusion that is very rigid and provides a
solid working reference surface to mill wooden dovetail (and other) joints.
In addition to the main jig body, the D1600 also ships with:
* Dovetail Cutter Nos. 80-8, 140-8 and 120-8
* 2 Piece Brass Template Guide (711TP)
* Cam Action Speed Clamps
* Cross Cut bar
* Screw Driver
* Fully illustrated manual
* Bridge piece material

So you get pretty much everything in the kit to start producing great dovetail
joints. All you need to supply yourself is a router. The router either needs
to have its own 8mm collet (to use the included 8mm shank router bits supplied)
or have a 1/2" collet (to use the 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer supplied in
the kit). Additionally, a plunge router will provide more flexibility and ease
of use, and Leigh recommends using a router with at least 1.5HP rating.
Your router will also need to be compatible with the supplied Leigh Template
guidebush (code 711TP) to use it with the D1600. A mounting adaptor system
which includes a range of fittings to suit many routers is also available. I
would recommend checking out the Leigh pages directly to determine whether
your router is compatible. See
http://www.leighjigs.com/ugs-16.php
For what it's worth, I found none of my three routers actually fit the supplied
guide bush. The routers I own are not popular models, and not readily available
in the USA (I am in Australia) so this probably accounts for the compatibility
problem. If you are in the USA, chances are your router will most likely
be compatible, or there will be an adaptor to suit. Again, check the above
webpage for compatibility. I ended up buying a new router which is compatible
to use and test the D1600 with... Good excuse for a new tool :)

Using the D1600 Jig
So once you have set up your jig and read through the basics of the manual,
it's time to start cutting some wood. Initially, you will need to do a few test
runs on different thickness material. This is so you can "calibrate" the D1600
and scribble down some important figures so your accuracy can be repeated
later on. This is an important step in the process of using virtually any
dovetail jig, not just the D1600.

In order to describe the process of creating some dovetail joints using the
D1600, I'll copy and paste, for simplicity sake, the instructions available
on the Leigh website, basically because the instructions are hard to beat and I
don't think I could explain them any better to be honest! I'll then give
some of my own comments and opinions, or highlight any issues I had crafting
these joints following each procedural description.

Through Dovetails
The D1600 Dovetail Jig cuts through dovetails the same way as its big brother,
the D4. Here's how you do it:

Cut Through Dovetails

Table with 2 columns and 7 rows
1. Position the finger assembly in the Through dovetail Tail mode
 . Icons identify joint type. The readable scale area always faces you and is
colour coded grey for Through and green for Half-blind. There is just one
scale setting to rout your Through tails
.
2. Using the included 7/16" template guidebush with the included ½" 8 degree
dovetail bit, the template guidebush steers the router along the guide fingers,
ensuring precise, accurate routing of the Through dovetail sockets. All bits
with 1/4" or 8mm shanks work within a 7/16" o.d. template guidebush.
2
3. Individually adjustable guide fingers let you quickly set up custom layouts
to suit your work. You can create any joint layout you want-the guide finger
spacing is infinitely variable. Whether you want a symmetrical or asymmetrical
joint. Now rout all the tail boards.

4. Flipping the finger assembly front to back switches the mode from Tails to
Pins
.

5. Adjust the pin scales
 to make a precise, recordable and repeatable setting for each bit combination.
The pins will fit the sockets perfectly, joint after joint.
6. Install the matching straight bit in your router. The template guidebush
follows the angled guide finger surfaces to cut perfectly mating pins.
leighd1600/howto-d16-dt-t-06
7. As you can see there's just one setup of the guide fingers, so perfect pin
and socket alignment is guaranteed, no matter what joint layout you've chosen.
That's all there is to it...perfect Through dovetails!

A Perfect Fit
Adjusting through dovetail joint tightness is very straightforward.

In Through dovetail Pin mode, moving the finger assembly towards you lets you
cut slightly larger pins, making the joint fit tighter.

Away is Smaller
Moving the finger assembly away from you lets you cut slightly smaller pins,
making the joint fit looser.

The through dovetail joint was one of the first ones I attempted to create
using the D1600. I'll say now that the first few joints take quite a while to
make. This is not because of a deficiency or issue with the D1600 itself, but
more of a learning curve to be worked through, primarily attempting to get
all the required steps into your brain and then reproducing these with your
hands and router. I found that after I had made three or four accurate through
dovetail joints, the process became a little more engrained in my mind and I no
longer needed to reference the manual for step-by-step instructions constantly,
which was the major time consumer in the beginning. The D1600 can create
through dovetail joints on boards up to 13/16" thick. After I had learnt how to
use the jig, I found crafting dovetail joints was very quick and efficient
using the D1600. I could probably create 4 joints for a dovetailed box faster
with the D1600 than marking out just one joint doing it the "old fashioned" way.

The flipping of the finger assembly is the unique part of the D1600 jig. One
one end the fingers are machined/shaped to produce dovetails pins, and on the
other, dovetail tails. Because the fingers are secured down with screws and the
jig is referenced on both ends, as you flip it, the fingers remain perfectly
aligned, ensuring your joint comes out nearly perfect each time. As mentioned
above, if the joint fit is loose or tight, fixing the problem is very easy
indeed. Simply slide the finger assembly forward or back as required and mark
down some settings for later use. The ability to infinitely space the pins/tails
in any configuration you desire is a great feature.

Referencing the pin scales makes the job of setting up the D1600 for accurate
joints quite simple. I would advise, however, that when you reference or secure
the finger assembly down at a specific point on the scale, look straight down
at the scale from above to ensure there is no parallax error in your reading
of the measurement. The system employs a 7/16" guidebush which rides against
the fingers on the dovetailing template. Depending on the type of dovetail
joint you are making, you generally use either the special 8mm dovetailing bit
supplied, or for the pins, a straight cutting bit (also supplied). A half-blind
dovetail joint only uses a dovetail cutter for both parts of the joint.

Also, as you rout the joints, be aware of which part of the fingers the guide
bush needs to ride on. After a few goes, it will become second nature, although
if you haven't used a dovetail jig before, practice with no cutter installed in
the router just gliding the router base over the finger assembly. Good
balance of the base plate on the finger assembly will ensure good results. A
nice, well-balanced router also helps here. If you can get a good feel of
your router and master controlling it with your developing fine motor skills,
you will have far less hassles when creating joints on the D1600. But in
saying this, it only took me a few minutes to master handling the router on top
of the jig. I prefer to use a smaller and lighter router on the D1600.
it just seems a little easier to manage. But like anything, practice makes
perfect!

In saying that however, in terms of mental brain power needed to use the D1600,
there is very little. You just have to follow a few key rules, one being
not to raise the router (for plunge routers) with the dovetail bit installed.
You will soon break it! I almost did this, but stopped myself just in time.
Phew! It's a good idea to switch off the router and keep it firmly in place on
the finger assembly until the router bit comes to a complete stop. This
will ensure you do not damage any parts of the D1600 jig.

Through dovetails can be used for a wide variety of projects. They make great
looking joints for all sizes of boxes or chests. And if you use different
contrasting wood species for the front/backs and sides, the joint really pops
when a finish is applied. It looks stunning and very beautiful as a finished
joint. You will probably never consider a butt joint again. And not to forget
overall joint strength as well. Because of the dovetail design, there is
an abundance of surface area for glue to cement itself to, providing one of the
strongest joints possible in woodworking.

Half-blind Dovetails
Almost every dovetail jig that was ever made to cut half-blind dovetails cuts
them the same way. A single dovetail cutter cuts both the pins and tails.
However, unlike template jigs, the D1600 allows you to change the size and
spacing of the tails.

How to Cut Half-Blind Dovetails

1. If the finger assembly is in the through dovetail mode, simply slide it off
the jig and turn it end for end. Now you are ready to make half-blind dovetails.

2. Set the pin scale
 to the thickness of your drawer side (tailboard). The readable scale faces you
and is colour coded green.
3. Use the included 7/16" template guidebush and the included #120-8 dovetail
cutter. Or use on of the other dovetail bits listed.

4. Bring the drawer front (pin board) up against a scrap board for quick
alignment. Now rout your tail sockets leaving the pins exposed.
5. After routing all your drawer fronts, simply rotate the finger assembly
toward you to access the half-blind tail mode (drawer side)
.

6. Again, set the scales to the thickness of your drawer side.

7. If you have wider tails, simply slip in the provided bridge piece material.
Bridge pieces ensure precise routing on the backside of the tail and guarantee
a perfect fit with the tail socket resulting in maximum glue surface area in
the joint.
8. Now rout all the tails on all drawer sides.

A Perfect Fit
Adjusting half-blind dovetail joint tightness is very straightforward.

Lower is Tighter
Lowering the bit cuts a narrower opening between tails and removes a little
less material from the sides of the pins, making the joint tighter.

Higher is Looser
Raising the bit cuts a wider opening between tails and cuts away a little more
of the pins as well, making the joint looser.

Cutting half blind dovetails is not a lot dissimilar than through dovetails on
the D1600. If anything, they are perhaps a little easier and quicker to make
once you have the process figured out. It is perhaps slightly speedier because
the same dovetailing bit is used to cut both the pins and tails for the
joint. There is a difference in making adjustments for tighter/looser fitting
joints however. Whereas with through dovetails, the finger assembly itself
is adjusted, with half-blinds, the actual router bit is raised or lowered to
make joint fit. On the D1600, you can make half blind dovetails on boards
up to 1" thick.

Half-blind dovetails are stock standard joints for constructed solid and strong
drawers. Because of the pin and tail design, it is almost impossible to
pull the front piece of a drawer away from the sides. Dovetailed drawer joints
are also a sign of quality woodworking in a finished cabinet, dresser, or
tall boy. Half-blind dovetails allow you to hide the joint also when the drawer
is closed, the joint design only being visible on the draw sides.

A point worth mentioning here in relation to the cam clamps used to secure wood
or material to the D1600 jig... You should be careful with how much pressure
is applied, and learn to use the cam clamps properly to avoid damage to the
jig. Also, the right amount of pressure will not only hold your workpiece
securely,
but will also eliminate any marking of the piece, which is possible with softer
timbers when the cam clamps are engaged too tight. The clamps hold extremely
well when tightened correctly. It really is a quick and efficient design
employed on the D1600 jig. Kudos to the R&D department!

One particular step required with half-blinds, especially if your finger
spacing is wider than 3mm apart, is to cut some small strips of the included
bridge
material to insert into between two tail end fingers on the jig. The hardened
plastic strips are easily cut with a fine saw. I used a hacksaw followed
by a quick edge cleanup on the belt sanding station. You will need to cut them
to length accurately as they sit between the fingers and are shaped to wedge
into the milled ends of each finger. They are a friction fit, but won't move
during use. They provide a flat reference surface between each finger so the
dovetailing bit cuts the inner tail sections properly for the half-blind
dovetail joint. The bridge pieces are re-usable, so keep them handy!

The process in general is simple with these joints. Essentially you select a
dovetailing bit and check the required depth setting for each bit (all info
provided in the manual). You can then cut the tail pieces, and then the pins
with the workpiece mounted horizontally in the top clamp. Once both tails
and pins are cut, you can dry fit the joint. If too tight or too loose, simply
adjust router bit height accordingly to correct. It's all very simple really.

Again, with our initial half-blind joint test, we came up trumps, producing a
well-fitting joint that required very little sanding to complete it. This
is a testament to the accuracy of the D1600 jig, and to the detailed
instructions and explanations provided in the manual.

Sliding Dovetails

Cut Sliding Dovetails

Table with 2 columns and 4 rows
1. Set the finger assembly in the half-blind tail mode on the 5/8" mark.
1
2. Using the supplied 7/16" template guide and the included 1/2" 14? #120-8
dovetail cutter.

2
3. With the centerline of your socket marked on the edge of the work piece,
line up this mark with the outside edge of the 3/4" vertical board. You have
now perfectly aligned the socket to where the router bit will cut. Install the
included crosscut fence and rout your sockets.
3
4. Now clamp the tailboard vertically flush under the finger assembly. Rout one
side, rotate the board and rout the other side. Moving the finger assembly
in will reduce the size of tail.
4

Sliding dovetails are the perfect joint for shelving projects in cabinets,
although they can be used for other construction joints as well. With glue
applied,
there is virtually no need for any other fasteners to be used. However, they
are also the perfect shelf joint for knock-down furniture as well, that is
furniture you can disassemble later on if need be. Even without glue, this
joint will hold plenty of weight and will remain in place (assuming a
well-fitted
sliding join).

The D1600 finger assembly is used slightly differently. Instead of actually
using the pin/tail pieces as guide references, a crosscut fence is added to
the edge of the guide fingers to provide a straight reference surface. After
about 1 or 2 initial attempts, I was able to make perfectly fitting sliding
dovetail joints with almost no effort at all.

Of course, sliding dovetails can be made using other methods as well, but
having the option to create them on the D1600 jig is an added bonus. You can
probably
craft them a little quicker using a router, router table and some
pre-calculated figures, and its perhaps a little easier this way, particularly
if you
are working with long boards which can be a bit cumbersome to use with the
D1600, but for smaller work, the D1600's sliding dovetail option is pretty good.

RVA-1 Router Vacuum Attachment
Here's a great little accessory that works wonders with your router, and not
just for use on the Leigh jigs too. The RVA-1 vacuum attachment is a device
that attaches to your router via the standard fence mounting holes found on
most models and allows hookup of your vacuum extraction system to remove the
majority of waste material produced during routed cuts. It has a spring-type
swinging vacuum port that allows the port to be set up close to the router
bit, but will pivot out of the way easily should it come into contact with
something during the cut, plus a small roller at the end of the dust port glides
easily along the edge of a workpiece, allowing you to maintain the port as
close to the cutting bit as possible in use.. When in use on the Leigh jig
during
cutting operations, I found the router grabs a high percentage of the dust and
debris created. I have it hooked up to a Festool CT Mini vacuum system which
provides great suction, and as far as I could tell, pretty much all the fine
dust and debris is extracted efficiently during routing operations. Only some
of the larger and finer shavings created when routing softwoods like pine
occasionally managed to escape the suction from the RVA1 port, but this was most
likely due to the debris being trapped between the workpiece and parts of the
D1600 jig itself. The RVA1 attachment, which sits underneath the router base
and can be arranged to be as close to the router bit, or as far away as desired
makes an excellent improvement to any router, particularly for edge cutting
and profiling tasks. Naturally, it is not as effective for dado or trench
routing, but great for edge rebate work. It certainly beats the dust extraction
features built into many routers as default, and I'd go as far as to say it's
just as effective, and perhaps even more effective than the handy vacuum
attachments shipped with the Festool OF1200 router which I have reviewed, and
praised, previously. This RVA1 attachment is just that little more flexible,
and with a wide dust port footprint too, to maximize coverage area. Even if you
don't end up buying a Leigh dovetailing jig, the RVA1 would, and should
be an attachment for your router that you should consider purchasing. Sold
separately as an accessory and priced at USD$44.00 the RVA1 seems perhaps
expensive
for the materials used to make it, but in practical terms, and efficiency and
general design effectiveness, it is worth every cent in my opinion. As I
have said before, and I will say it again, I don't think you can spend enough
on any system designed to reduce your exposure to airborne dust. It is a
small price to pay to save your respiratory system, and it will save a LOT of
cleanup time later on, that is certain.

Conclusion - Part 1
It probably goes without saying that the D1600, at least in my tests, has been
shown to produce very well-fitting dovetail joinery, and even on the first
attempt. In fact, if you follow the instructions carefully, it's very difficult
not to produce a near-perfect joint on your very first attempt. Such is
the design and the quality of the D1600 jig that makes this possible. I know I
wrestled with more than a few bad joints trying to make my first few half-blind
dovetail joints on my el-cheapo half-blind dovetail jig.

I know a lot of people often comment on the price of the Leigh jigs (retails
for around US$359), and ask, "are they worth the money?" Well, I can tell you
now that after using one for a couple of months now, the answer is a definite
yes! It's very exciting to produce fine joinery on such a fine piece of
equipment,
and the results certainly justify the cost in my opinion. I know many
woodworkers shy away from dovetail joinery because it is either too difficult,
or
too time consuming, but the Leigh D1600 at least appears to solve both those
problems.

Of course, nothing would probably beat the thrill of crafting a perfectly
fitting dovetail joint using a pencil, fine tooth saw and some chisel work, but
if you don't have 20 or 30 hours to produce a couple of draw or box joints on
your next project, the Leigh D1600 has to be the next best thing.

I am very happy with the results the D1600 delivers. I haven't come across an
owner of a Leigh jig that wasn't happy with their product yet, and I can see
why after finally getting my hands on one myself. If you have the money and are
eager to produce fine dovetail joinery using power tools, definitely add
a D1600 to your woodworking wish list.

End of Part 1 of Review

Leigh D1600 Review Part 2 - Isoloc Templates
Ok, as promised here is Part 2 of the D1600 + accessories review, looking at
the Isoloc Templates and the Variable Guidebush System (VGS).

The Leigh Isoloc templates were primarily designed to provide something
different in the world of half blind dovetail joints. While traditional
half-blind
dovetails feature straight edges, the Isoloc templates allow the user to craft
equally strong joinery with more unique and distinctive joinery patterns.

We received the I1600B Isoloc Template designed for the D1600 jig, but the
templates are also available for the larger D4 jig too, and template designs
are numerous. Each Isoloc template allows two different designs/styles of
joinery to be created. The I1600B offers the "clover" and "bear ears" patterns,
which are probably the most unique of the set to date.

Like the normal finger template for the D1600, the Isoloc templates can be used
for many types of dovetail joints, including through-dovetail and rabbeted
dovetails, even inlaid dovetails, but for the purpose of this review I chose to
focus on the half-blind dovetail joint, as this is what the Isoloc templates
are primarily designed for. If you wish to try the other joint types, the
included product manual that ships with the Isoloc templates will provide
step-by-step
instructions on creating all the other types of joints. For the record, I
crafted one test through-dovetail joint and it worked very well first go. But
let's get back to the process of machining some unique half-blind Isoloc joints
using the I600B template.

To begin with, the template mounts to the D1600 jig just as the finger assembly
does via the two end support arms. Unlike the finger assembly the Isoloc
templates are fixed, so there is no adjustment available in terms of spacing
pins. This means that there are certain dimensions of material that will
guarantee
half-pins on each end of the joint, and anything else you must compromise upon.
Because of the actual design of the Isoloc template and the unique patterns
it creates, trying to make an adjustable version of this template would be a
bit of an engineering nightmare if you ask me. I do not see this as a problem.
Just something to keep in mind. The product manual offers a wide array of
material sizes that will guarantee perfect half pins on each end of your
material,
if that is an essential element to your project.

The I1600B Isoloc template mounted on the D1600.

Each side of the Isoloc template features a different joint pattern. As
mentioned above, we have the "clover" and "bear ears" patterned template. With
it
mounted in the D1600 jig, I set about crafting my first "clover" Isoloc joint.
The first task is to set the template up to match the thickness of the pin
board material being used by adjusting it using the scales - 3/4" setting in my
case. I milled 7" wide boards for the sake of assuring half-pins on each
end of the joint. Next you set your spacer block in the rear clamp and adjust
the Isoloc template to drop down and sit flush with the spacer. Next clamp
your pin board piece into the front of the jig. Using your socket board piece,
you then mark the depth of this board on your pin board face so you can
adjust your router bit depth to produce a clean fitting joint. With that all
set, ensure the pin for the Isoloc template is in the left "pins" mode hole.
This pin allows the template to be slid accross the length of one half pin to
mill the socket board accurately in the next step. With everything set, you
can proceed to mill your pin board by allowing the guide bush and a 5/16"
straight cutter to follow the template pattern. With the pin board, you can rout
at full depth on soft woods without too many issues, but if using thicker
pieces of material for the sockets (and hence a deeper router bit setting) you
may want to take multiple shallower passes if working with hardwoods. For the
tests I used soft pine.

Milling the "clover" pattern pins.

When the pin board routing passes are completed, you should have some really
nice looking pins routed cleanly and smoothly (if your technique is good).
For the record, the first pin board I crafted came out essentially perfect (see
photos)

First attempt and perfect "clover" pins!
Doesn't get much easier than that!

With the pin board milled, it's time to craft the sockets to fit the pins. The
socket board is mounted horizontally in the top clamp of the jig. It is aligned
flush with the face of the pin board (or equivalent dimensioned stock) that you
re-mount in the front clamp for this setup purpose. The template is lowered
flush onto the face of the socket board and then the template pin is removed,
allowing you to slide the isoloc assembly to the left to engage the metal
pin into the hole for the "socket" mode. This essentially moves the whole
template over to offset it correctly for perfectly aligned sockets.

Now, milling the socket board is a little trickier, particularly if using
softwoods or wood that tends to spilt or chip easily. Because you are often
cutting
with the grain, the chance of a section ripping right off is increased. The
manual makes explicit mention of this fact, and to my detriment (of not fully
reading the manual first) the first socket board I attempted to mill in the
usual left to right router movement across the jig, and at full depth, ended
up with problems as shown below...

Eeek! Almost all the sockets had their nice left rounded
edges ripped away completely, as circled here

After consulting the manual, which I should have done in the first place, I
discovered that this is noted as a likely and common problem. Instructions are
provided to correct this, and basically involve milling the sockets in multiple
passes (as opposed to a full depth pass I tried initially) and making the
first few passes in a right to left manner instead, with a final pass in the
normal left to right way. Of course, after adhering to these instructions,
the second socket board attempt came out perfect!

Ahh.. this looks much better. Just a little fine sanding to remove those furry
edges...

Moral of the story... read the manual in full first, and don't let your
enthusiasm run wild :)
With both pins and sockets now milled, it is just a matter of testing the fit
now. I had a sense these would go together just about perfectly, simply by
looking at them. The lines were smooth, flowing, but sharp and oozing with
accuracy, attributed to the ultra-accurate milling
of the Isoloc template itself. And just as I thought, when fitting the joints
together, they joined with almost unbelievable precision...

A dry fit of pins and sockets on the "clover" pattern joint.
I splashed a little mineral turps on the joint to make the joint "pop" out
a little more for ease of viewing.

Needless to say I was thrilled with the result of my first ever Isoloc joint,
again reinforcing the fact of how easy it is to craft professional looking
joinery with the D1600.

Now, for the "bear ears" pattern. Simply flipping the Isoloc template to the
other side offers you the bears ears template. Routing and milling both the
pin board and the socket board is done in exactly the same way as the "clover"
joint was made, so I wont repeat the steps. Because the process is the same,
I was able to craft the bear ears joint in half the time.
>From start to end it probably took me about 15 minutes to craft the joint. Of
>course, it would almost be impossible to craft a complex and curved joint
like this by hand, so I can't compare it to a similar hand tool working time,
but 15 minutes is time very well spent when you achieve results as good as
these...

Milling the pin board for the "bears ears" pattern

First pin board attempt. Again, perfect!

The matching bear ears socket board. With the proper technique, this board
came out perfect first time around.

And the resulting joint... again a dry fit with turps added to highlight the
joint.
Note how clean and well fitting the joint is right off the jig.

Imagine opening up a cabinet drawer and discovering these unique looking
dovetail joints (can you even call them those?) on a finished piece of
furniture.
It would sure surprise your visitors, or your customers. It certainly adds
flair and a unique design element, one that looks even more attractive than
your traditional square lined dovetail joints.

As mentioned, both these joints made above were the result of my first ever use
of the Isoloc template on the D1600, adding to the fact of how easy it is
to use. And the results speak for themselves. No matter what your level of
woodworking skill you could create these joints with little trouble if you are
confident with using a router and have a somewhat steady hand.

Variable Guidebush System (VGS)
I was lucky in the fact that I nailed the setting first go for the Variable
Guidebush system used in my router to craft the Isoloc joints above. What is
the VGS I hear you ask? Essentially it is just a system of guidebushes that
instead of having a perfectly straight (vertical) guide surface to run against
a template, they have a slightly tapered outer edge that allows you the
adjustability needed to fine-tune an Isoloc joint. By moving the VG up or down
(by screwing it in further, or out further of its guidebush retainer ring) you
can alter the width of pin/sockets ever so slightly to provide a more snug,
or a more loose fitting joint.

Rotating the barrel 1/8 of a turn adjusts joint fit by a mere one thousandth of
inch. The VGS, which comes standard with each Isoloc template, mounts in
many router bases like an ordinary 2 piece screw on template guidebush or by
using a Leigh template guidebush adaptor.

If you buy an Isoloc template, the VGS system is included in the Isoloc kit, so
you do not have to spend any more to receive and use it with your Isoloc
template. As I luckily set the right variable guidebush depth for the joints, I
didn't need to alter it, but once you do have it set, you can mark the
guidebush itself and its retainer to allow you to accurately re-align the
guidebush later on, hence avoiding a repeat of setup and ensuring snug fitting
joints first go.

Overall Impression of D1600 + Isoloc Templates
I'm not going to say much here except to simply state that the results speak
for themselves.

You know you have a special tool when you can craft virtually perfectly fitting
joinery quickly and easily, and with little prior knowledge of this type
of complex joinery. I have crafted a few dovetail joints with a hammer and
chisel in the past and although they provide a good challenge, they are very
time consuming to make, and take a lot of skill to perfect. The D1600 jig +
accessories provide the solutions to all those problems, and then some.

I have yet to find a Leigh Dovetail jig owner that is unhappy with their
purchase, and I too applaud the design, engineering and development that has
gone
into this device. If you are serious about making dovetails or the fancier
Isoloc-type joinery on your future projects, I would highly recommend this jig.
You simply cannot find a better and more versatile dovetail jig on the market
today.

This message and its attachments may contain legally
privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the
information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the e-mail.

Any content of this message and its attachments which
does not relate to the official business of Eraring Energy
must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by
Eraring Energy. No warranty is made that the e-mail or
attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.