Aloha,
One thing I learned from others mistakes is to make the bed narrow
enough so you can easily weed it. In our case, instead of making a
bed that could be nine feet wide, we made two that are three feet
wide. I don't know what people can use in the continental U.S. but
since I have issues with my back, we made our beds three feet high
and filled in the bottom two feet with what here is called cinder. It
actually has lots of good stuff for growing in it. Then we topped it
off with soil.
Betsy