It has been several years since I bought my FM transmitter and I have
forgotten all my research.  My main advice is to look for signal strength
and not for all the features.  The transmitter is a small thing, maybe 3.5
by 2.5 with a wire or or rod which sends out the signal.  It plugs into the
headphone jack of the appliance that you wish to transmit.  I would avoid
those transmitters which require a line-of-sight pathway for the signal.
Some of the transmitter will allow you to set the frequency that you want to
transmit on.  Because all of those are LED, I would avoid them if I was
totally blind.  The others will have preset frequencies which are usually
above 103.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Timothy Ford
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 7:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Getting Computer Audio Output Through Wireless
to Stereo

Thanks! The vast majority of the units I saw on Overstock are the FM
transmitter type. Now I just need to figure out how to compare them! There
may be some basic specs that I could get to on Overstock, but I don't know
until I start looking. Any hints out there on either a good name brand to
look for, or is there some easy way to compare?

----- Original Message ----- 
From: tunecollector 
To: [email protected] <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com>  
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 4:53 PM
Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] Getting Computer Audio Output Through Wireless
to Stereo

I bought an FM transmitter from eBay. The signal had to go fifty feet
through three walls and the roof to get to an outside antenna. I bought a
Mobile Blackbox which works. The unit is half the size of a cigarette pack
and plugs into the headphone jack on my computer. I also use it to
broadcast from my I-pod to my receiver and car tuner. Works off two A
batteries. No complaints.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:[email protected]
<mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> ]
On Behalf Of Timothy Ford
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 4:13 PM
To: [email protected] <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> 
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Getting Computer Audio Output Through Wireless to
Stereo

Hi All,

My desktop computer, running a SoundBlaster Live Value sound card, is about
10 feet as the crow flies over to my stereo, a standard old 1978 era
receiver. Due to the existence of sliding glass doors, it is not something I
can just run a cable to, and when I tried once hooking up a long RCA phono
cable just to see how it sounded, I got a lot of hum.

Overstock.com has a bunch of plug in wireless transmitters designed to get
audio from a device into a stereo by way of an FM broadcast. These gizmos
vary from $25 on up, with most of them being towards the $25 range.

Are any of these okay? I want it to sound decent, but it need not be
anything great. So what buying advice can you all suggest out there for the
basic easy way to go wireless from my computer over to the stereo?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__________ NOD32 2056 (20070212) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com> 

To listen to the show archives go to link
http://acbradio.org/handyman.html <http://acbradio.org/handyman.html> 
or
ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/
<ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/> 

The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday
<http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday> 

The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml
<http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml> 

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/ <http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/> 

Visit the new archives page at the following address
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/>  
For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list
just send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:blindhandyman-help%40yahoogroups.com>  
Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



 

__________ NOD32 2057 (20070213) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com




To listen to the show archives go to link
 http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
or
ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday

The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various List 
Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/

Visit the new archives page at the following address
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/  
For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list 
just send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to