Jennifer,
You can tow with a car, but most cars can't tow more then 2000 lbs.  All
cars have a GVW (gross Vehicle Weight), and it is not recommended to load
your car up or tow anything that will put the car over that weight.  For
towing long distances or in the mountains, it is best to stay under 80% of
the GVW.
My recommendation would be to go with a minivan.  My personal preference for
Minivans is the Chrysler town and Country, or the equivalent Dodge Caravan.
I would stay with 2001 or newer. the older ones had transmission problems,
mostly because people didn't use the right fluid in them, but that is a
different discussion.
Either one comes with an optional tow package, but if it does not come with
the tow package, it is no big deal.  A hitch and wiring can be had for less
then $200.00 and it took les then an hour to install.
Most minivans come with a roof rack, so using a top carrier won't be much of
a problem.
The town and Country, and the Caravan have the stow and go seating, so you
can store items under the floor when the seats are up.  very handy if you
have little ones traveling with you, keeps there toys out of the way until
they are needed.
The gas mileage on minivans is better then SUV's, but not as good as cars.
I think the Honda Odyssey has the best mpg of all minivans with a V6.
I would estimate the minivans have an average mpg rating of 20-25 on the
highway, and 17-22 in town.  Cars will have an average of about 5 mpg higher
then the minivan.  When towing or loaded heavy the mpg will drop with
anything.  Towing with my Mercury sable I was lucky to get 12-14 mpg on the
highway, and we normally got 28-30, on my town & Country towing drops the
mpg to about 16-18, and we get 20-22 with out towing.
No matter what you decide to get:
go with a v6, 4 cylinders can't haul as much, and generally don't last as
long.
Go with a 4 speed automatic, the over drive really helps the mpg on the
highway, do NOT use over drive when towing.
add an auxiliary transmission cooler if not equip.
4 wheel anti lock brakes (ABS).
try to have the towing package already installed.  If you want to tow, make
sure you can get a hitch for the vehicle before you buy it, check out
www.etrailer.com or www.hitchfinder.com.
some manufacturers tow packages do not include the hitch.
make sure of the vehicle's GVW, and towing capacity.
Follow the heavy duty use maintenance schedule for the vehicle, when towing
or hauling heavy loads of people and supplies.  This is the schedule that
most people are wasting their money on 3000 or 3 months per oil change.
Well I hope this helps some.
Michael