I knew a sighted guy who used to do a little drill before hammering. He'd
start really really slowly tapping the hammer between his spread
fingertips. He'd go slowly enough that he was in control and he'd build up
speed till he was going as fast as he'd be hammering.
He said that doing that give him the hand eye coordination that he didn't
have. He said he learn it with the C.B's in WWII.
He said the old guys he trained under used to do it with hatchetts during
their training the new guys.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/86xolB/TM