This " Eyerock500 race . was originally started some 6 or 7 years ago
here in New york because there was a need for funds  to maintain a
summer camp program for  students who are blind, blind deaf and deaf
blind. Doctor Lauren Liberman  who runs the program at a New York State
University in Brockport , NY had called a local disc jockey Wolf Man Bob
from WPYX radio station to ask his help. with the  ideas bouncing
quickly back from the listening audience someone said . lets get some
blind folks  on the race track. I do not know but can find out next week
who got the first race track involved. Fonda Speedway which I think is a
half mile dirt track. all flat. We used that track for six years running
but last year had to cancel  two times because of rain and flooding.
Now for requirements which gets a bit touchy. the only requirement is
that one be blind  totally or legally. that brings a stir from some of
the drivers because of  those having some sight  may be able to drive
better. to me it  does  not make a crap.  I just want the thrill of the
crashing fenders and the smell of gass and oil burning. each year they
say they will ask all drivers to wear a blind fold but  maybe this year.
the second requirement is that  you need to someone  buy or borrow a
regular racing outfit  . one or two piece as well as a safety helment
and gloves. . Now, if possible it is asked that one get a $500 sponsor.
however some drivers  just show up and that is  accepted too.  the whole
concept is for us to have fun but the more money  that we raise the more
kids who can go to this summer camp. let me stop for a minute and
explain the camp. it is actually  kids / students living in dorms which
during the college  year would normally be filled  by  other students.
Most cars that will race are donated by individuals, garages and
salvage yards.. a driver is matched up with a donated car by a lotto
drawing and if you want once the car is selected you may ask to check
the car out with or without tools. there is not a lot of time to do
this. so if you really want a car to work on then  you can do like I
will do this year and that is  to find a car now, for next years race.
each car must be a four cylinder and for the first time all cars must be
automatic , however I have  driven  three and four speed stick shifts
on these tracks  in prior races. what a blast running a Ford Escort at
62 or 64 miles per hour in second gear. remember that song about the
little nash rambler passing the Caddilac  in second gear?? the only
requirement I forgot to mention is that these cars run. some of them die
out in the first lap  or do not get passed the starting line. some guy
three years ago could have won the race but  apparently  he ran out of
gas on the last lap. what am I forgetting. Oh there must be two front
seats  as there must be a sighted  co driver. usually but not always   a
driver who is familar  with that race track.  prior to the race we have
a drivers meeting to spell out the rules. No intentional attacks on
another car,  follwo your co drivers  voice and may the best or woman
driver win. Now let me say here there is a guy who comes every year with
his own car. a hopped up Japanese car which is fine  but this guy wants
and wants. , I'll tell you later how I helped him, of course by
accident  go flying into the inefield. okay. the first year we raced it
was just a straight race but now  we have two qualifying races. and the
best 16  cars  are in the final  race. again keep in mind you are
supposed to listen to your co driver. Last year I was sure some  so and
so was trying to pass me on the left and I said screw then and kept
whipping the wheel to the left smacking that car good and solid. My co
driver , who happened to be a brother was laughing his arse off ,
because I found out later. no car was trying to pass me at the time but
I was slamming a solid concrete safety wall. . the  whole race is to be
12 laps but depending on how many cars are still running after a while
they can  stop the race and declare a winner. after all . one year we
had to many crashed cars blocking the path of others . there was only
two cars out front running  so they were the first and second place
winners.  My one race there was two cars stalled out in front of the
grand stands but a little space between them so with my co drivers
guidence I slammed between them on an angle and blew open a hole ,
loosing  a front fender and the front bumper but what a rush to feel
that wham bang and my co driver yelling" punch it punch it. hit the
blank blank gas now.". I am thinking those other drivers  , if they
still come back to race now bring a  fresh roll of toilet paper. on with
the show. now all the time we are racing they are selling raffle tickets
up in the grandstands and before and after they are selling tee shirts
which were printed up by one of many companies  who donate the first  I
think 500 shirts sold at $100 a pop. on those shirts are the names of
the $500 sponsors and the name of the radio station. Now this race is
always done between other regular track   events .like the stree stock
cars. the different big block cars, etc. ours is always in the middle so
we start around or between 7 and 8 pm. ooops . forgot  another
requirement.  you, the blind driver and whoever brings you must signe
several releases  . taking the heat off the track and radio station and
more so nobody gets sued.. this year it is different because of a
lawsuit going on on the West coast whereby a person died while
participating  in a clear channel contest.  but the race goes on.. Let
me come back with a second posting as this is running a bit long.OLee

--
        "It's today!" said Piglet.
        "My favorite day," said Pooh.