Dan, if this is too simplistic, please forgive...

The type of railing construction we have on our deck is quite simple.  The
railings were constructed on the work bench, then simply toenailed into the
support posts.  It's significantly sturdier than it sounds.

The actual rails were constructed with 2-by-4 cedar for the top and bottom
rails.  The balusters are 1-by-4 cedar which are simply sitting in
three-quarter inch dados cut into the bottom and top rails.  Very simple,
very easy.  Certainly, you could use 1-by-4s as we did for the balusters...
Or, you could use anything... 1-by-2, 2-by-2, 2-by4, etc.  You could use a
round stock if you wish.  This type of rail/baluster construction isn't as
elegant as a mortise and tenon baluster/rail system, but way easier.
The only things to be careful about are...
1.  The collection of rain water in the lower rail's dado.  I cured this by
drilling little drain holes between the balusters in the lower dado.
And, 2., insect type houses which are built inside the upper rail's dado.
Actually, this hasn't been a problem.  I think I found one or two little
wasp type nests in the upper dado over the years.  You can prevent this by
treating the rails.

BTW, the balusters are afixed inside the dados by finishing nails driven in
from the sides of the rails..  If you're using rough lumber, as we did, you
can set them and nobody will ever know they're there.

--Barry