About 4 years ago I bought and installed a home softener system off a main
chain. Well the blending tank went bad and that is where the fun began.
First I called the chain store and was told a tech would have to come out
and check to see if the tank was leaking. Guess what, it was. Now they told
me that would cost $65 to have the tech confirm what I already felt. The
teck told me I would have to install the new tank myself, seeing I installed
the first one. Told him that isn't what my literature stated upstairs. He
didn't say any thing, but ask to read the material I had. Well that settled
the question about the $65 and who was to do the installation. The tech gave
me a work order stating the tank would be shipped to my house and a plumber
would install the tank at no cost to the home owner, nor would there be a
$65 charge for the service call. A week later I got the tank shipped to my
door around 2 in the afternoon. acourse the appointment for the delivery was
to be between 10:00 am to noon. So my for a carrier we will call x. Now I
was to call the local chain store to have them set up the installation by a
register plumber. They told me they don't do the plumber appointments and I
would have to call their service. I was told by the 1 800 service that my
blending tank wasn't under warranty for it only had a five year warranty and
I bought in the year of our lord of 2003. I explain to her that if one
subtract 3 from 7 that it equals 4 and that 4 came before the 5. She than
told me that 1 800 service doesn't set up plumber appointments, so back to
the local chain store. After about two hours, between the local chain store
and 1 800 service, some one made the plumber appointment to come out and
install my blending tank. So four days later I got a call saying I had to be
by the phone from 8 am to 5 pm or 9 hours hoping for the plumber to call.
You guessed it, wasn't the plumber but the tech saying that there was a mix
up, for he doesn't install but just service these tanks, but he didn't know
what a blending tank was, and asked. That was about 11:00 am. So back to the
local store I was a calling. I got a call saying that their plumber doesn't
install blending tanks, just hot water tanks. He than told me I would have
to install the blending tank myself. well the tank cost $770 and the labor
was $159 for a total of 929 the tech work order said, but the manager wanted
me to put the tank in free of charge. Told him that wasn't going to happen,
get a plumber. He called back and said for me to get a plumber and the chain
store would pay up to the $159 labor cost, told him that wasn't going to
happen in his life time. But  did tell him I would install the tank for a
$100 plus parts. The local chain store ask if I were a register plumber.
Told him no, but was a slum lord for 40 years, did that count for any thing?
Well he told me I couldn't install the tank unless I was a register plumber.
Told him that was OK, just send out a plumber and install the dam thing. No
one wanted to come and install the blending tank. The manager ask what it
would take to solve this issue. Told him it would cost $100 for labor and
parts if I installed the blending tank myself. He finely called his 1 800
service headquarters and received perdition to pay me $100 labor and cost,
which today came to $145.29, which I received at the local chain store today
went I gave him the bill and the slips for parts. Wish I could have seen his
face went he found out I couldn't  see a dam thing. But my wife enjoyed the
expression on his face, so she told me.
smile,
RJ