Q: I want new flooring in the dining room and I'm trying to decide between
carpet and wood. I'm on a concrete slab and it's kind of cold, so I was
leaning toward carpet but prefer the look of wood. Any advice?

 

 

A: Solid hardwood would not be structurally stable on a concrete slab.
Concrete contains moisture that would change the integrity of solid wood.
However, engineered hardwood is a different story because it's built of
various layers of woodgrain and textures, similar to plywood. These
materials look very natural thanks to a veneer of solid wood on top. Or,
there's laminate flooring which is installed in much the same way as
engineered hardwood. These floors may not feel as comfortable underfoot as
carpet, but they provide the look of wood you prefer and they also install
with moisture barriers and foam underlayment materials, which provide an
extra layer of insulation between the slab and the flooring.  













[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to