What worked for me on a fire place I built back in the mid seventies, was to
put a cap on the chimney.
RJ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cy Selfridge
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:04
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] How Do I Stop a Chimney Backdraft?

  When I had a fireplace I would roll up several pieces of newspaper, light it
  and then stick the burning paper up in the bottom of the chimney. This would
  usually cause the warm air to really rise fast and eliminate the down draft.
  As soon as I could see that the chimney was drawing I would then light the
  wood which would then increase the draw.
  If I didn't warm the chimney the blamed thing would smoke until the fire got
  large enough to take over.
  Cy, the Ancient okie... From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com