also i have a cook stove that is burning propane.
but when we first got it it smelled kind of strange and made lots of soot.

we called and the man came out and checked it out and told us that it was set
wrong.
there is an orifice that can be turned one way for natural gas and the other
way for propane.
ours was set right in the middle.
he said he would have never believed it if he didn't see it.
he put it the right way and it has worked fine ever sense.
so maybe your heater  is made or set to run on natural gas and someone hooked
it up wrong.
i would have it checked.
Jim