OK Guys (and Gals),

I'm planning to build a brick planter in front of my home this spring and have 
a few questions.  First, let me explain that my home has a 10 square foot 
addition in front that comprises the dining room.  This addition sits on a 
concrete foundation that comes up about 1 foot and the addition itself extends 
out in front of the rest of the house 11 feet or so and is likewise about 11 
feet wide.  The sidewalk parallels the southern-most outside wall about 5 feet 
away; this is where I'd like to put the brick planter.  In short, I have about 
an 11' by 5' area between the house and sidewalk that I would like to "cover" 
with a brick planter.  Here are my questions:

1)  The foundation rises about 1 foot above ground and I'd like to build a 
planter at least 2 feet high; what should I be aware of/concerned about where 
the back wall of the planter would be against or near this foundation and 
siding?

2) If I build the planter right next to the house, what do I need to think 
about so far as maintaining the integrity of the wood siding on that wall?  I 
guess what I want to know is how would I be able to paint that lower tier of 
siding from time to time?

3)  Would I need to line the inside of the planter with some type of water 
proof material?

4)  What about drainage from the planter?

5)  What type of foundation do I need to think about for the planter?

6)  Is it practical or even aesthetically attractive to build a planter right 
out to the sidewalk?

I should say that I'd like this planter to serve as a "guide" for snowblowing 
that part of the sidewalk during the winter so having the planter foundation 
right against the sidewalk is one of my design intentions.  I like to place 4" 
× 4" treated lumber along my sidewalk edges (at least one side) to serve as a 
"boundary" for the snowblower; it makes for a much neater, straighter resulting 
path through the snow as well as eliminating "drift" onto the lawn.

Any thoughts, suggestions and warnings will be much appreciated.\

Thanks!
----
Holland's Person, Bill
- "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
- US Humorist, Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to