You should always seal grout.  There are self-sealing grouts available but
you should talk to your installer about them.  If you are installing the
floor yourself, use a fine sand grout and seal it.

Jim King

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of lvmumford
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:06 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] new tile floor- should I seal?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list and I have a question for the group. Hubby and I are
blind and we are having our home remodeled with new tile floors put in our
kitchen, dining room, sunroom, and utility room. The grout color will be a
medium shade of bone with the grout lines 1/16 inch wide (the tiles
themselves are large-- sorry I can't remember their exact dimensions).
Anyway, I am getting conflicting advice as to whether or not to have the
grout sealed. Some say sealing it is a waste because the grout line is so
thin, the sealant will wear off, and you need to reseal every year. Others
say that sealing the grout will help prevent the grout from absorbing food
spills and stains (I have a guide dog with a very sensitive stomach), and
becoming discolored. What is your advice?

Much thanks,
Linda