Aloha, Good morning. I lived on a property that
was almost 18,000 square feet. The property was
on a hill with a flat part at the top a hill then
flat then hill again. I would mow the lawn. My
land lord had a gas mower that was very old. I
had someone sharpen the blades and clean it up
before using the beast. I had plenty of people
tell me it would be "hard" for me to mow the
lawn.  I've never been to great at listening to
people tell me about what they think I can't do.
I am much better at listening when people are
helping me find solutions.  I figured out where
to put the gas and oil, how to start the darn
thing and use it. Before I used it I thought
about safety and here is what I did. I would
never push the mower up hill so that it could not
come back on me. I would have the mower in front
of me on the downward slope of the hill at all
times. If it got away from me on the hill it
would travel down the hill on its own.  The beast
never got away from me. I would pull the mower
back up the hill or mow across the hill in a back
and forth motion to get to the top. I mowed in
both directions to be sure I had got most the
grass.  My goal was to have cut grass and no
injuries. I felt pretty sure the lawn mower
couldn't come back on me mowing the grass in the
manner described. The first few times I mowed the
grass I was a bit nervous partly because the
machine was so loud. When I was growing up we had
a push mower which of course would have taken for
ever to mow the huge yard I mowed with the gas lawn mower. Have a great day.
Aloha Sheryl