From: clifford
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:00
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Maytag, the good old days

Dear R. J. and list members:
My mother has a 1932 ringer washer by Maytag, that came originally with a
gasoline engine and an exhaust that ran about forty feet out in to the lawn. It
was modified for an electric motor in the fifties. It still works, although she
turned it in to a back-up machine, when she bought an automatic washer. My
mother, being the frugal person she is, refused for a long time to allow the
automatic washer to empty all that hot water after only one run of wash.
My first wife and I have had a Maytag top loader for well over 25 years, which
was turned over to our rental house when we bought
the Neptune. Maytag was an automatic buy for us back in the good old days, and
those commercials showing the lonely Maytag repairman, were on the mark.
I am one of those old fogies that believe that we are happily destroying this
country, by allowing our industrial capacity to be outsourced to off
-shore locations. I thought then, and I still think today, that the treaties we
have signed on trade are formulas for disaster.
According to the history channel, the first manufacturing operation started in
the U. S. was a company making shovels. I wonder how long it will be before
there will no longer be a shovel made in the U. S. A.
I am told by a machinist friend that our capacity to make and sell industrial
tooling is being shifted abroad, and that many machines used in industry here
are imported.
Given all of the trends, I am not at all optimistic about our future. Whether
it be a power saw, invented in this country, or an outboard motor, also
invented here, the U. S. manufacturers are slipping away.
My first chain saw was a Homelite , which gave good service and I would have
gladly bought another, had they kept up with developments.
I will quit with this line of thought before the sensors become outraged.

Yours Truly,

Clifford Wilson

database 5017 (20100411) __________

http://www.eset.com