To complete the subject line,

For every project, a mistake to learn from.

Or so it seems.

This project is a dresser hutch combination that has to be ready for use as
a grand daughter   change table.  She's due on Friday this week.

It needed to be very dark to match the crib.

I used a two part water base stain, first a dark under coat, then a top coat
of the final stain.

My mistake came when I was putting polyurethane on it.

I spread poly thinned down half and half with mineral spirits.  Works well.

My mistake came when I got down to the end of the can of poly, and noticed
that I had not stirred up all the gunk from the bottom of the can when I
started.

Without thinking, I dumped in some extra mineral spirits and stirred it up.

The next coat had a lot of milky streaks in it.  I couldn't see them, but my
wife had to keep telling me, "It's not right!"

Once it dawned on me what had happened, I got a new can of poly.

But we had to sand down the pieces that had the streaks.

By then we were starting to wear through the stain.  Fortunately it worked
to spread a new layer of stain, even though it was a water based stain, over
top of whatever stain and poly was still on the pieces.

Now my wife pronounces them to be good.

Since the basement is cool and getting more damp, she let me take over the
dining room and family room for the finishing.  What a wife!

Hope you can learn from my mistake.

Blessings,

Tom