This is not a very useful response to your question, Lenny.  I have no
idea about the losses, but I will comment on your problem with coiling the
long extention cords.

>From my days in rock climbing, I learned that a regular circular coil is
not the best way to handle long ropes.  With each loop, you put a full
twist into the rope, then when you drop the rope, it tends to twist up and
even get into tension knots.

We use what is called a butterfly or back packer coil.  I don't think I
can explain it here without it sounding much more complicated than it
really is.  Much easier to show someone than explain it.

Anyway, that is how I package up my long extension cords and they are much
better behaved than when I just try to coil them into a continuous loop.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi