Aloha Jennifer,
As someone else mentioned, it depends on what I'm
trying to protect myself from, but I did buy a
box of 100 non-latex gloves at my local drugstore
for things like dealing with messy stuff. I also
have some that are for using harsh chemicals. I
think the regular gloves from the drugstore were $7 for the box.

I'm also a fan of plastic bags for cleaning cat boxes and the like.
They give you plenty of room to stretch your fingers.

I have a funny little thing that is actually a
potholder that is worn only on the thumb. I like
it for protecting my thumb when using a hammer.
Betsy