The grease has been specially trained to stay off the rollers before it ever
goes in the tube...

It will get on the rollers as well.  The thing that makes the belt turn is the
tension on the roller at the open end, or the end away from the console.  That
roller is usually chain driven and should the belt either wear too much or the
tension on the belt by the roller become too loose, then you will lose drive to
the belt with or without grease.

As always, different brands adjust in different ways.  So I can't say for all
brands.  Usually there is some sort of adjusting mechanism at the end or under
the open end.  I had an old one I got from Sears many years ago and now I have
a Nordic Track.  Both used an Allen head bolt on either side and it was either
tightened or loosened to make the adjustment.

The key is knowing how tight to make it so you don't burn off the inside face
of the belt.  The manual will have directions on this for your particular
model.  But basically if you aren't having a problem with slipping, I wouldn't
do anything.  If it is slipping, remember little turns are better.

Make sure there isn't a locking nut stopping any adjustment first.  Then I
would guess you go clockwise to tighten the tension.  That won't take much
turning to see if you are headed in the right direction.

As I remember, my first manual said something real clear like to draw the
tensioner up until you could lay your hand on the middle of the tread and still
be able to touch the walking board.  It was something real specific like
that...  It will be a "feel" adjustment so just go slowly and I'm sure you'll
find a happy place for the tensioners.