  From: Bob Kennedy
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:03 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] help with new talking multimeter

  Here ya go.

  The batteries were in mine when I got it. To replace them, there is a
Phillips head screw in a small recess on the back. Just a warning, the cover is
very happy in place and it doesn't like opening up... But the batteries are
under that cover.

  For orientation, lay the meter on its back with the jacks for the probes at
the top. The probe with the button goes on the left side.

  Probes will fit on both sides but won't work if they get reversed.

  Below the two jacks for the probes is the selector dial. Turning the dial to
the farthest stops in either direction will turn the meter off.

  To make a choice, turn the dial once and push the button on the probe.
Depending on the direction you start from, the female voice will tell you where
you are. She will say something like "AC .00 volts.

  Don't go by that as a direct quote, it's an example. Point being, each time
you turn the dial and push the button, the voice will tell you the unit of
measurement.

  I don't have mine in front of me so I won't be much help on the buttons below
the dial.

  There is one on each side.
  One button will give you the reading just like pushing the button on the
probe. I seem to remember the other selects different modes but I've been wrong
before...
  Below those two buttons are three larger buttons across the face. Experiment
with them and you'll be able to catch on to what they do. As long as you don't
touch the probes to anything while you play, you won't hurt the meter.

  I seem to recall the one in the center is a toggle switch. For example
touching the two probe tips together will test for continuity and cause the
meter to make a sound while the probes are touching. If you push the center
button once, the sound will start. Pushing it again will toggle sound off.

  The toggle has no effect on the speech, just the sound for continuity
testing.

  This meter will test a ton of different functions some of which I have no use
for, or even know what they mean. So maybe some other people can tell you about
their uses.

  If you don't have a scanner, maybe I can scan in the instruction sheet. It
isn't very long. They are assuming you already know the theory behind a
multimeter.