On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 6:40 PM Fergal Daly <fer...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 at 15:13, Domenic Denicola <dome...@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I am happy with the spec progress here and don't think it's a significant
>> blocker for the Intent at this point.
>>
>> On the tests and implementation:
>>
>>    - I found
>>    performance-navigation-timing-navigation-failure.tentative.window.js
>>
>> <https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/blob/master/performance-timeline/not-restored-reasons/performance-navigation-timing-navigation-failure.tentative.window.js>
>>    which seems like it needs to be updated from "error-document" to
>>    "navigation-failure". That's worth looking into in case it means the
>>    implementation is also not yet updated.
>>    - I also found that the Chromium test directory is full of
>>    -expected.txt files
>>
>> <https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/blink/web_tests/external/wpt/performance-timeline/not-restored-reasons/abort-block-bfcache.window-expected.txt?q=NotRestoredReasonDetails&ss=chromium%2Fchromium%2Fsrc&start=21>,
>>    which seem to match up with the failures on wpt.fyi
>>
>> <https://wpt.fyi/results/performance-timeline/not-restored-reasons?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=performance-timeline%2Fnot-restored-reasons>.
>>    Will those be addressed before shipping?
>>    - I found a nonstandard toJSON() in NotRestoredReasonDetails
>>
>> <https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/blink/renderer/core/timing/not_restored_reasons.idl;l=12;drc=6211b1c8268b239694bd84d7a99e508a15dc6dea>
>>  in
>>    Chromium. Was the intent to specify that?
>>    - Can you confirm that Chromium does not plan to ship any nonstandard
>>    not restored reason strings, beyond the specified "fetch",
>>    "navigation-failure", "parser-aborted", "websocket", "lock", and "masked"?
>>
>> I don't know specifically what is there right now but I would expect that
> we will ship others. E.g. BroadcastChannel blocks BFCache on Chrome and
> Mozilla but not WebKit and there is currently disagreement. Why would it be
> better to show "masked" for that case?

The idea is to follow the standards and not ship nonstandard behavior. The
current spec PR actually only allows sending "masked" in the cross-origin
case, and doesn't allow sending it for BroadcastChannel. If the intention
is to send some value in the BroadcastChannel case (which is this part of
the spec
<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/browsing-the-web.html#document-state:~:text=User%20agents%20may,keeping%20it%20cached.>)
then that needs to be specified in the spec PR before shipping such a value
in Chromium.