Uh, this conversion has lost its focus.

We were discussing the native viability of the OS X Terminal for TTS
based screen reader use. My mention of Speakup on a laptop was intended
as illustrative, not an expression of concern.

As it happens, I had no problem running Speakup in a VMware Linux vm and
using my Mac's CapsLock plus the Fn key (in the lower left corner of my
Airbook) to get the Speakup popup.

in fact, if memory serves, I offered that it was so much superior to
native Terminal in my experience, that I would ssh from my Linux vm to
perform native OS X tasks.

Janina