Hello,

Maybe the issue is with the options you used in Rufus.

Instead, use teh dd command to burn the ISO image on the USB stick (I assume
that's whrt you mean writing "USB drive, not a USB hard disk"):

Using Ubuntu mate:
1) Plug in the USB stick
2) From mate-terminal, issue this command:
lsblk -l -o vendor,model,name,size,type|grep disk

Carefully identify the line for your USB stick, as the dd command will wipe the
whole device's content!
Assuming that its name is sdc (adapt accordingly) type as root or using sudo:
dd if=/path/to/the/iso of=/dev/sdc bs=1M status=progress && sync

to know more about dd:
man dd

Best,
Didier