Correction, please. It's one concept of what a consumer might need and
want. I reject that it speaks for this consumer.

Janina

Linux for blind general discussion writes:
> I am sighted and have nothing bad to say about PulseAudio for
> my limited use cases.
>
> If one wants to make one's own opinion instead of relying of
> the hearsay by people who don't really know what they are speaking
> about, here is a good reading to understand what PukseAudio really
> is, can and can't do:
> https://gavv.github.io/articles/pulseaudio-under-the-hood/
>
> Audiophiles may prefer Jack, which target different needs.
> Let's quote the aforementioned article:
>
> PulseAudio design is focused on consumer audio for desktop and mobile. It
> offers seamless device switching, automatic setup of hardware and networking,
> and power saving. It can’t guarantee extremely low latency. Instead, it
> usually adjusts latency dynamically to provide lower battery usage and better
> user experience even on cheap hardware.
>
> JACK design is focused on professional audio hardware and software. It offers
> the lowest possible latency and may connect applications directly to devices
> or each other. It doesn’t try to provide the smooth desktop experience to the
> detriment of performance or configurability and is targeted to advanced users.
>
> FYT next Slint upgrade will ship JACK2 in addition to PulseAudio, as well as
> apulse, which allows to run an application linked to PulseAudio without it.
>
> As an example I tried this, knowing that Firefox in Slint is linked to
> PulseAudio:
> Remove PulseAudio
> Install apulse
> Type "apulse Firefox"
> In Firefox Start a tune from Youtube.com: you will hear it.
> Link: https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse
>
> Best,
>
> Didier
>

> On 11/01/2019 14:04, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> > Good to know there are some workarounds for the issues with Pulseaudio.
> >
> > Still, I'm quite happy without those 200+ megabytes of bloat and will
> > be sticking to my strategy of purging Pulseaudio from any system that
> > installs it by default until given a reason to actually keep it. Then
> > again, I'm not sure I've ever heard even a sighted user say anything
> > good about pulseaudio and I'm not even sure what issue with the
> > lighter, more mature sound system options its supposed to address.

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:       http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures        http://www.w3.org/wai/apa