The linux-howtos package has Bash-Programming-.HOWto in it.  That's not
for reading either it's for doing.  To explain what I mean by something
not being for reading but for doing understand the howto has examples in
it and you're expected to key in those examples and run them and in that
way you learn.  One package to install on a new system is mlocate and as
root once installed run the updatedb command.  That makes a data base of
all files on your system so then you can key in something like locate
linux-howto <enter> and get a clue where those got put when they were
installed.  Next thing to think about is do you like line-oriented
editors or screen-oriented editors.  If you like screen-oriented
editors, read up on nano and learn how to configure it to your tastes.
If you like line-oriented editors read up on ed and ex and maybe do some
internet searches for those editors too.  Whichever editor you use
you'll probably want to get comfortable with before going really far
into any shell programming since it will make writing scripts and other
files easier.
Another couple possibilities are emacs and perhaps emacspeak.  The emacs
system is huge and can do lots for you if you're willing to work the
learning curve.  I call emacs a system since it has lots more in it than
just an editor.  If you install emacs, info emacs <enter> and info org
<enter> and info sc <enter> and info newsticker should make for
interesting reading.  The info erc <enter> command probably ought to be
added as well.