I'd focus on the distributors of the Linux BSP used on those routers:  the
silicon vendors themselves.  Current routers shouldn't be shipping with 3.2
kernels, or even 3.10, and yet...  ::sigh::

I find it very frustrating they they fork the kernel for their own use,
instead of maintaining patches for the vanilla kernels.