On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 12:49 AM, Geoff Huston <g...@apnic.net> wrote:

>> On 12 Jun 2018, at 4:55 pm, Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Fascinating!
>>>
>>> "       • BBR changes all those assumptions, and could potentially push
>>> many networks into sustained instability
>>>
>>>        • –  We cannot use the conventional network control mechanisms to
>>> regulate BBR flows
>>>
>>> • Selective packet drop just won’t create back pressure on the flow”
>>>
>>> And I keep on seeing questions on whether BBR understands ECN - if not….
>>> well I think we see the results.
>>
>> I think geoff goofed in his testing of BBR, starting all flows at the
>> same time, thus syncing up their probing periods. Real traffic is not
>> correlated this way.
>> (I made the same mistake on my initial bbr testing)
>
> no - I started the flows at 10, 20 and 30 seconds after the initial flow
> started.

k.

>> I do agree that bbr treats aqm drops as "noise", not backpressure. And
>> bbr scares me.
>>
>> I look forward very much to bbr one day soon doing some sort of sane,
>> conservative, response to ecn marks.
>>

> I’m not sure that I understand this comment.
>
> Part of the pressure going on here is the issue of whether the endpoints can
> and should trust the signals and.or manipulation that they get from the
> network infrastructure. BBR is using a different form of feedback to control
> its send rate. Essentially BBR is taking a delay variance measurement 1 / 8
> of the time to adjust its internal model of the end-to-end delay bandwidth
> product (every 8th RTT). ECN provides a constant information flow, and this
> certainly matches the requirements of loss-based TCP, where every ACK
> contributes to the TCP flow dynamic, but it does not seem to me to be a good
> match to BBR’s requirements.

ECN CE is explicit. Someone on the path is saying "slow down". If BBR
merely responded like cubic to an ECN mark, it would be a win.

This of course doesn't handle the malicious middlebox or sender
problem, but neither does anything else.

I was pleased to see recently from
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98/slides/slides-98-maprg-tcp-ecn-experience-with-enabling-ecn-on-the-internet-padma-bhooma-00.pdf
that france was showing 6% CE markings on uplnks. Since free.fr
deployed fq_codel in 2011, I figure that's almost entirely from their
deployment. I was boggled at the argentine result (30%???), although I
know openwrt and derivatives with sqm is very popular there, that
can't explain all of that.

> The idea with BBR is to drive the network path such at the internal routers
> are sitting just at the initial onset of queuing. In theory ECN will not
> trigger at the onset of queuing, but will trigger later in the cycle of queue
> buildup.

a few ms of queue is not a problem.... we (in the fq_codel world) are
seeing 5ms queues and full throughput on ethernet, 15-20ms
on wifi. (and BBR and cubic share almost equally, all the time, at
least at the range of rates we've tested)

Wifi: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.00064.pdf
Cake shaper: https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.07617

There's a paper with the BBR vs cubic vs fq_codel result around here somewhere.

I am painfully aware that upgrading edge routers and other bottleneck
devices to have smart queue management is a long game...

... but I long ago gave up on pure end to end approaches.

>> PS having fq on the link makes cubic and bbr cohabitate just fine.
>> fq_codel vs bbr behavior was reasonable, though bbr lost a lot more
>> packets before finding a decent state.
>
> I guess that "It Depends" - my long delay experiments in the presentation
> referenced above showed cubic being completely crowded out by BBR.

Please give sqm or cake a shot.

--

Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC